georgia mancio biography
“[Mancio] has everything covered – technical mastery, expressive range and a remarkable versatility” – The Observer ****
Award-winning jazz vocalist/lyricist, Georgia Mancio, is one of the Europe’s most original, adventurous and multi-faceted new artists. Her unfailing integrity, emotional commitment and ever-evolving imagination, produces music of beauty and bite whether classic jazz, Latin or modern song repertoire or her own bold new writing.
In April 2017 Georgia launched her 6th album – Songbook – with a sold out debut headline show at world-renowned Ronnie Scott’s described as “unequivocally, one of the gigs of the year” (Jazzwise). Songbook is Georgia’s first entire album of originals, co-written with her songwriting partner, double Grammy award-winning jazz pianist and composer Alan Broadbent (Diana Krall, Paul McCartney, Charlie Haden).
This follows the universally acclaimed Live at ReVoice! (2015) – a collection of duos from her own international voice festival which ran for 5 editions in multiple venues with over 160 artists.
In October 2017 Georgia produced a new series, Hang, performing 6 entirely different shows over a 4 night residency at The Pizza Express Jazz Club. Collaborations included Ian Shaw, Liane Carroll, Nigel Price, Quadro with Frank Harrison and Andrew Cleyndert and a newly co-written project, Finding Home, with Kate Williams that received a coveted 4 star review from The Guardian.
Georgia has also: collaborated with Bobby McFerrin, Sheila Jordan, Jason Rebello, Gwilym Simcock, Bobby Wellins; James Pearson, Jim Mullen, Nikki Iles, Jim Hart, Laurence Cottle, Michael Janisch; opened for legends including Monty Alexander, Jon Hendricks and Milton Nascimento, Kenny Barron, Georgie Fame, Cedar Walton, Joey DeFrancesco, Ramsey Lewis, Steve Smith, Lee Ritenour, Dave Gruisin, Ray Gelato, Dave Holland’s Overtone Quartet during many residencies at Ronnie Scott’s.
Georgia’s writing has been officially approved by Pat Metheny for her lyrics to his iconic composition Question And Answer.
In 2010 Georgia launched her own international voice festival – ReVoice! in association with the Pizza Express Jazz Club. A much lauded annual event which Georgia produced, presented and performed in, ReVoice! hosted stars including: Tuck & Patti, Raul Midon, Gregory Porter (his first UK booking), Beady Belle, Carleen Anderson, Carmen Souza, Karin Krog, David Linx, Maria Pia de Vito, Jhelisa Anderson/Robert Mitchell, Mycale (John Zorn’s acapella quartet), Kevin Mahogany, Allan Harris, Becca Stevens Band, Sofia Rei and Diana Torto/Kenny Wheeler/John Taylor. The last edition of ReVoice! ran across 4 venues in and out of London in 2014.
Albums and Broadcasts
- Peaceful Place, Roomspin Records 2003
- Trapeze, Roomspin Records 2008
- Silhouette, Roomspin Records 2010
- Come Rain or Come Shine, Roomspin Records 2013
- Live at ReVoice!, Roomspin Records 2015
- Songbook, Roomspin Records 2017
- Live Broadcast with Darius Brubeck, BBC Radio 3 Jazz Line-Up, 2011
- Live Broadcast at ReVoice! Festival with John Parricelli, BBC Radio 3 Jazz Line-Up, 2013
- BBC Scotland Radio and TV broadcast Jazz Nights At The Quay, 2017
Awards and Nominations
- nominated Best Jazz Act 2017 Urban Music Awards
- nominated Vocalist of the Year 2017 British Jazz Awards
- nominated Vocalist of the Year 2017 Parliamentary Jazz Awards
- twice nominated for 2016 London Jazz Musician of the Year
- nominated Vocalist of the Year 2015 Parliamentary Jazz Awards
- first prize winner in 2005 Brussels International Young Jazz Singers’ Competition