georgia mancio biography
“an object lesson in subtlety…in the impact of nuance…It’s beautiful”
All About Jazz 5*****
“[Mancio] has everything covered – technical mastery, expressive range and a remarkable versatility”
The Observer 4****
“a sublime vocalist with both credibility and talent to spare”
Award-winning jazz vocalist, lyricist and producer, Georgia Mancio, is one of Europe’s most respected, adventurous and multi-faceted new artists. Her multi-lingual music references classic jazz and Latin alongside her own astonishing writing, always stamped with an unfailing emotional integrity.
In summer 2018 Georgia made her US debut at Rochester International Jazz Festival and Kitano (NY) with her song-writing partner Grammy-winning pianist/composer, Alan Broadbent, following their 2017 album release, Songbook, sold out headline at Ronnie Scott’s (“unequivocally, one of the gigs of the year” Jazzwise) and subsequent performances across Europe.
Other credits include Bobby McFerrin, Liane Carroll, Ian Shaw, Bobby Wellins, Gwilym Simcock, Darius Brubeck, Pat Metheny (lyric approval), her own festivals ReVoice! and Hang and multiple nominations in the Parliamentary, British Jazz and Urban Music Awards. Her 7th album, Finding Home, co-written with pianist/composer Kate Williams will be released in 2019
US Debut / Alan Broadbent Songbook
This summer Georgia made her US debut at Rochester International Jazz Festival, Kitano Jazz Club (NY) and Side Door (CT) with her songwriting partner double Grammy-winning jazz pianist and composer Alan Broadbent (Diana Krall, Paul McCartney, Charlie Haden). Working together since 2013, it follows the 2017 release of their first co-written album Songbook, a sold out headline launch at world-renowned Ronnie Scott’s (“unequivocally, one of the gigs of the year” Jazzwise) and subsequent performances across Europe.
Described as “one of the most formidable songwriting partnerships of the 21st century” (Jazz Views) they have invited comparisons to Rodgers and Hart, Bacharach and David, Jon Hendricks, Michel Legrand and garnered plaudits from luminaries Sheila Jordan, Michael Feinstein, Steve Tyrell, Norma Winstone, Claire Martin, Janis Siegel and the world’s no 1 Jazz Blog Jazz Wax – “Songbook is pure perfection.”
Georgia’s latest project, Finding Home, co-written and led with pianist/composer Kate Williams received a coveted 4 star review from The Guardian for its debut performance and will be released as an album with accompanying tour from spring 2019.
Producer / ReVoice! Festival and Hang
From 2010-2014 Georgia produced her now iconic ReVoice! Festival in association with the Pizza Express Jazz Club. Across 5 multi-venue editions she presented over 160 artists including: Rebecca Parris, Tuck & Patti, Raul Midon, Gregory Porter (his first UK booking), Beady Belle, Carleen Anderson, Carmen Souza, Karin Krog and Diana Torto/Kenny Wheeler/John Taylor and performed 44 sets herself.
Her new series Hang showcases her immense, ever-evolving creativity as a curator and collaborative kudos and versatility with artists including Ian Shaw, Liane Carroll, Nigel Price, Nikki Iles, Alina Bzhezhinska, Gareth Lockrane and Trish Clowes.
Other Collaborations / Writing
Georgia’s other credits include: Bobby McFerrin, Jason Rebello, Gwilym Simcock, Jim Mullen, Laurence Cottle, Nikki Iles, Darius Brubeck and Bobby Wellins . She has played many residencies at Ronnie Scott’s, opening for legends Monty Alexander, Jon Hendricks Kenny Barron, Georgie Fame, Cedar Walton, Joey DeFrancesco, Ramsey Lewis, Steve Smith, Lee Ritenour, Dave Gruisin, Ray Gelato, Dave Holland’s Overtone Quartet and Milton Nascimento whom she also interviewed for Ronnie Scott’s International Radio Show.
Georgia’s writing has been officially approved by Pat Metheny for her lyrics to his classic composition Question And Answer.
Albums & Broadcasts
- Songbook, Roomspin Records 2017
- Live at ReVoice!, Roomspin Records 2015
- Come Rain or Come Shine, Roomspin Records 2013
- Silhouette, Roomspin Records 2010
- Trapeze, Roomspin Records 2008
- Peaceful Place, Roomspin Records 2003
- London Live TV interview, Hang Festival 2017
- BBC Scotland Radio and TV broadcast Jazz Nights At The Quay, 2017
- Live Broadcast at ReVoice! Festival with John Parricelli, BBC Radio 3 Jazz Line-Up, 2013
- Live Broadcast with Darius Brubeck, BBC Radio 3 Jazz Line-Up, 2011
Awards & Nominations
- nominated Vocalist of the Year 2018 Parliamentary Jazz Awards
- nominated Vocalist of the Year 2018 British Jazz Awards
- nominated Best Jazz Act 2017 Urban Music Awards
- nominated Vocalist of the Year 2017 British Jazz Awards
- nominated Vocalist of the Year 2017 Parliamentary Jazz Awards
- twice nominated for 2016 London Jazz Musician of the Year
- nominated Vocalist of the Year 2015 Parliamentary Jazz Awards
- first prize winner in 2005 Brussels International Young Jazz Singers’ Competition